Today’s edition of quick hits.
* As Title 42 disappears: “The border between the U.S. and Mexico was relatively calm Friday, offering few signs of the chaos that had been feared following a rush by worried migrants to enter the U.S. before the end of pandemic-related immigration restrictions. … ‘We did not see any substantial increase in immigration this morning,’ said Blas Nunez-Neto of the Department of Homeland Security.”
* A similar assessment: “Concerns had been building that the lifting of the order, known as Title 42, would bring scenes of chaos at the border as more people tried to enter with the expectation that they would get to apply for asylum. While a greater number crossed the border than usual in recent days, putting pressure on processing facilities and border towns, there were few signs of disorder in the hours after the policy expired at midnight.”
* On a related note: “Although there are sighs of relief over the smooth ending of Title 42 last night, El Paso officials said today that the days ahead are the real tests.”
* Perhaps the CBO will help move the process toward a resolution: “The Congressional Budget Office on Friday warned of a ‘significant risk’ the U.S. government will run out of cash and borrowing authority prior to June 15, when a big slug of corporate tax receipts is expected to provide a little more breathing room.”
* Charges in New York: “The Marine veteran who was seen in a video putting Jordan Neely in a fatal chokehold on a New York City subway was arraigned Friday on a second-degree manslaughter charge that Neely’s family suggested was too lenient.”
* Before you ask, the judge was appointed by George H. W. Bush: “A federal judge in Virginia has ruled that a law banning licensed federal firearms dealers from selling handguns to young adults under 21 violates the Second Amendment and is unconstitutional. The ruling Wednesday by U.S. District Court Judge Robert Payne in Richmond, if not overturned, would allow dealers to sell handguns to 18- to 20-year-olds.”
* It’s a safe bet Jim Jordan was not pleased: “Mark F. Pomerantz, a former prosecutor who once helped lead an investigation of Donald J. Trump, appeared on Friday before the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee for a deposition but declined to answer many of its questions about the prosecution of the former president on charges of falsifying business records.”









